.

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Back.

My feet are finally on Californinan soil after a 36 hour journey that felt like it stretched on for weeks. If I never see another airport again it will be too soon. It feels strange to be back here. It's a foreign country yet so much is familiar. A sort of home away from home.
I'm missing my family and friends already, and after sleeping in my new and empty apartment alone last night, I was this close to wanting to go back to South Africa and just call it a day, even if it meant boarding another deathly long flight. I know this year is going to be even better and more adventure-filled than the last, but I guess I just need to have patience with myself as I make the mental transition. My body is here but my mind is still making it's way over. It's familiar here, yet still a foreign land and right now I just need some home comforts, so I will sit here with my rooibos tea and know that South Africa is always right here in my heart. 
I'm excited for the year ahead, and although I'll be in the same place with many of the same people as last year, I know it's going to be a vastly different experience. New surprises around every corner and bucket-loads of fun, no doubt. 
Right now I'm just trying to get this new apartment furnished and kitted out so it can stop echoing. Bare walls and empty spaces aren't so inviting at the moment, but I have many ideas and this place is a great canvas to for a creative mind to work with, so I'm excited to see what we'll make of the cute 2-bedroomed space. 
8pm and my eyelids weigh a ton. Jet-lag is luring me to bed. Goodnight California and I'll see you tomorrow for another sun-shiney day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...